Thursday, February 18, 2010

The fish are coming...


Trip to Home Depot for a piece of masonite --- John chopped this down for me to 7 ft. by 3.75 ft., and I applied lots and lots of gesso. On top of the gesso I began to lay a ground of photo transfers ------ one day of stocks from the Wall Street Journal printed on heavy matte photo paper (Epson), torn into long strips and then photo-transfered onto the board. 



I lucked out --- most of the time, Petey found the board on the floor too scary to trespass. He'd keep me company and then tip-toe around the board to leave the room. 



Stock images were photo-transfered originally for archival reasons, but the transfer technique produced a great erratic, wild quality to the image --- worked out perfectly.






This is undoubtedly the most work I've ever put into a background.



With the ground work in, I'm now illustrating/painting a dense school of fish. The photo-transfer ground shows through the highlighted layers of the fish, and an interface layer catches light which creates a flickering effect through the school. Petey and John provide in-progress critique. 

Stay tuned, more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment